Founded in 1922 by the Benedictine Sisters of Virginia, Saint Gertrude is an independent, all girl Catholic school defined by an innovative and rigorous liberal arts curriculum and a commitment to the Benedictine values of hospitality, stewardship, and community service.
The school attracts a diverse student population (approximately 200 students), and 100% of its graduates move on to university education.
Saint Gertrude is located in the heart of the historic Museum District of Richmond, Virginia, allowing it to utilize a wide variety city institutions as learning laboratories.
Saint Gertrude does not discriminate against any individual on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, age, disability, or status as a Veteran or member of the Reserves or National Guard.
At A Glance
Saint Gertrude High School is located in the heart of the Museum District where students make use of the community resources such as the Virginia Museum of History and Culture, the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, and the Science Museum of Virginia.
Saint Gertrude High School is an independent Catholic, college-preparatory, day school for young women grades 9-12.
1922 by the Benedictine Sisters of Virginia
Renata Rafferty – Head of School
Rebecca Hoffmann – Dean of Student Life and Leadership
Total Students: 200
- 22% diversity
- 67 % of students are Catholic
- 41 zip codes
- Teacher/Student Ratio 1:6
- Average Class Size: 15
- Receiving Financial Aid: 40%
- College Bound Graduates: 100%
Faculty & Staff Members:
80% of faculty hold advanced degrees
- Offer courses in the visual arts (graphic design, sculpture, ceramics, painting, drawing), dance, and music. We also have a robust theatre organization that puts on one fall musical, a one-act play, and a spring play.
- Multiple art exhibitions throughout the year in our own art gallery, along with workshops with visiting artists, and frequent visits to the VMFA, and other art galleries in the area.
- Saint Gertrude High School fields 16 varsity and junior varsity teams.
- Twelve varsity sports include: Basketball, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Indoor Track, Lacrosse, Outdoor Track, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track & Field, and Volleyball.
- A certified athletic trainer is also a member of the staff.
- Saint Gertrude High School proudly introduced swimming and golf to young women’s competition in the Richmond independent schools.
- Virginia Association of Independent Schools
- AdvancED (formerly Southern Association of Colleges and Schools)
- National Association of Independent Schools
- National Catholic Education Association
- Council of the Advancement and Support of Education
- The National Coalition of Girls’ Schools
- National Association for College Admission Counselors
- The Potomac and Chesapeake Association for College Admission Counseling