Founded in 1922 by the Benedictine Sisters of Virginia, Saint Gertrude is an independent, all girl Catholic school defined by an innovative and rigorous liberal arts curriculum and a commitment to the Benedictine values of hospitality, stewardship, and community service.
With a view toward their history and a desire to strengthen Catholic education, Benedictine College Preparatory and Saint Gertrude High School unified under a single new corporation, The Benedictine Schools of Richmond, in January 2020. The Benedictine Schools of Richmond will operate Saint Gertrude High School essentially as an all-girls school division and Benedictine College Preparatory essentially as an all-boys school division. The two schools will share the Benedictine Abbey campus, including some important facilities such as the campus church, auditorium, athletic fields, and a new state-of-the-art gymnasium. To learn more about this new unification, click here.
The school attracts a diverse student population (approximately 200 students) with a 100% college acceptance rate. Saint Gertrude does not discriminate against any individual on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, age, disability, or status as a Veteran or member of the Reserves or National Guard.
At A Glance
Saint Gertrude High School will be joining Benedictine College Preparatory, located on the 50-acre Benedictine Abbey campus in Goochland County, in the summer of 2020. Breaking ground for a new girls school will take place in the fall of 2020 with an anticipated opening in 2022, in time for Saint Gertrude’s Centennial Celebration. Together, the schools will share a peaceful, modern, and sprawling campus including the campus’s new, world-class athletic facilities.
Saint Gertrude High School is an independent Catholic, college-preparatory, day school for young women grades 9-12.
1922 by the Benedictine Sisters of Virginia
2020-21 School Administration:
Jesse Grapes – President
Dr. Michael Ashton – Principal
Amy Pickral – Head of School
Amanda Esparza – Dean of Academics
Kelli Peters – Dean of Girls
Total Students: 183
- 28% diversity
- 70% of students are Catholic
- 41 zip codes
- Teacher/Student Ratio 1:6
- Average Class Size: 15
- Receiving Financial Aid: 40%
- College Acceptance Rate: 100%
- Offer courses in the visual arts (graphic design, sculpture, ceramics, painting, drawing), dance, and music. We also have a robust theatre organization that puts on one fall musical, a one-act play, and a spring play.
- Multiple art exhibitions throughout the year in our own art gallery, along with workshops with visiting artists, and frequent visits to the VMFA, and other art galleries in the area.
- Saint Gertrude High School fields 16 varsity and junior varsity teams.
- Twelve varsity sports include: Basketball, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Indoor Track, Lacrosse, Outdoor Track, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track & Field, and Volleyball.
- A certified athletic trainer is also a member of the staff.
- Saint Gertrude High School proudly introduced swimming and golf to young women’s competition in the Richmond independent schools.
- Virginia Association of Independent Schools
- AdvancED (formerly Southern Association of Colleges and Schools)
- National Association of Independent Schools
- National Catholic Education Association
- Council of the Advancement and Support of Education
- The National Coalition of Girls’ Schools
- National Association for College Admission Counselors
- The Potomac and Chesapeake Association for College Admission Counseling